2175 (Rolls-Royce) Squadron

Air Training Corps


Spring 2014

Sea King Flight

By Cdt Patton J

On Saturday the 15th of March Cadet Rae, CI Lacey and I went to HMS Gannet for a flight in the Sea King helicopter. We arrived to find that we were 2 and a half hours early, so we went into Ayr town centre to a wee café. We then went round the shops and Cadet Rae and I got big milkshakes. They were great! When we got back to HMS Gannet, it turned out we had missed the safety briefing so Cadet Rae and I had to stand in front of all the other cadets while they told us everything we needed to know. We then got split into 5 groups. Group 1 went first and so on. I was in a different group than Cadet Rae so I had to try to get to know the other people in my group but before I even could, we were downstairs putting helmets on and waiting for the Sea King to come back to pick us up. We were shown outside to see it land in front of us. There was a lot of heat coming off of it and it was very windy. I didn't actually realise how big it was until it was right in front of me, it looked really cool. My group then got on it and my seat was straight across from the door, which they left open during takeoff and part of the flight. They tipped it to the side and all the tiny cars were right below you. Then I got told to go up to the front to look out the cockpit window, that was really cool. They did a kind of zero gravity thing which was my favourite part. They flew out to the beach then turned back again and landed. It was one of the best things I've done with the air cadets so far and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again!

Back to Top

Garelochhead Fieldcraft Weekend

By Cdt Shannon Rae

On the 25th - 27th of April, 2414 (East Kilbride) Squadron held a fieldcraft camp at Garelochhead including 2175 (Rolls Royce) squadron, 1001(Monklands) and 1701(Johnstone). On first arriving at Garelochhead all the cadets got briefed on the “Five S's” - shape, shadow, silhouette, sound and shine whilst we were standing in pitch blackness.

The next day we were up early and after breakfast all the cadets got split into three sections. Cadet Jennifer Anderson, Cdt Jack Patton and I were all in the same section funnily enough as we were the only ones from 2175 (Rolls-Royce) squadron. Just before lunch the sections rotated around three activities. The first for us was movement and hand signals - we learned formations when the enemy where attacking and hand signals so we didn't have to talk during the night ex. The second rotation was learning about medical treatment, on how to classify someone injured. There was four stages also known as triage where the patients were classified according to their injuries. The third rotation was practicing building an OP (observation point) for the night ex ahead. Section C happened to rename ourselves Team Turnip, as there was a massive pile of turnips when building our OP just after lunch. Dinner seemed to come quite quick as we spent all afternoon building the OP's for the night ahead. When the night ex finally came around we were all ready to go. After being dropped off at a certain point Team Turnip quietly but quickly went to the point where we set up our OP and we took turns to watch out for the enemy (the staff). When it was my turn with 3 other people to watch out for the enemy they came so close to us it felt like we had to stop breathing and moving to not get noticed. Once being given the all clear sign over the radio all sections had to make their way towards the cottage that we had been spying on for the past hour. My section was in charge of putting the missile together, which took a bit of time as it was huge and there were a lot of nails but we got there in the end. After a long night it was time to go to bed and have a well deserved sleep for the next day.

After what seemed minutes of sleep we were up yet again and getting ready for breakfast.  Just before heading home we did another set of rotations. First was how to maintain and use a survival kit, which consisted of a fire. The second rotation consisted of more movement work on how to do the monkey run, kitten crawl and leopard crawl. We also did target indication where you had to shout the group, range, indication and type also known as GRIT. The third and final rotation consisted of map work and bearings which I personally think was my strongest point. After what was a busy weekend it was time to sit down for lunch then go home.

In my experience of the weekend learned a lot from the activities held throughout the camp my favourite was the triage though. I also learned how much pressure an NCO is under to make sure everyone is accounted for as I was in charge of the girls. I know how much of a handful girls can be, but being in charge of them was a whole new experience for me.

Back to Top

Bronze Practice Hike

By Cdt Jennifer Anderson

On the 19th of April 2014 cadets and several members of staff set off to do the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh practice hike. We met everyone at the squadron, packed our rucksacks into the minibus, and set off to Port Glasgow where we would commence our expedition.  

The sun was out and it was a bright morning, which brought a sense of relief to everyone as we just hoped it wouldn’t be a wet weekend. We arrived at a car park by Port Glasgow train station soon after and got into our groups for our expedition.

The group I had been put into consisted of members from different squadrons, Jack Mitchell, Dean McNamee, Matthew Wales, Jack Patton, Bethany Patton and Matthew Hawthorne. We had been the first group to set off, half an hour before the other group, McNamee was in charge of the first leg and then from there we would rotate and different people would take turns being in charge of the map.

After what felt like hours of walking, we had a break and we had met the staff. There we discovered people had been carrying more than others so we distributed what everyone was carrying evenly throughout the group. From there we began walking again taking photos of waterfalls we saw and interesting panoramas. We stopped later on for lunch and quickly realised the other group were ahead of us and then soon we saw the staff walking to the top of Corlic Hill. We were pleased to know we were heading in the right direction, so after a few complications, we walked up to Corlic Hill where we met the staff waiting for us and we were told the other group were on their way down the hill already. After a while of cutting through muddy patches and jumping over streams while also avoiding the animals nearby we got the bridge of the Gryffe dam we finally met the other members of staff who were waiting for us after the bridge, although we thought we would be stopping there, we were wrong, there was still a bit more walking to do until we could finally relax for the night at the camp site.

When we got there our whole team had just fell to our knees and breathed a sigh of relief as we would finally rest and not have to carry bags on our backs until the next morning. The campsite was on a farm where the other group were waiting for us, after pitching our tents and making our ration-pack dinners and desserts we finally got to relax and get to know some of the people in our group and other groups. As it was getting dark we all made our way back to our tents and got ready for sleep, in the middle of the night you could feel it just getting colder and colder but our sleeping bags provided us with comfort.

The next morning we were up early to get breakfast, pack our tents up and clear the site for us to set off again. It was after 9 o’clock that morning when our group set off again, the next day felt easier than the previous day, everyone was more comfortable as we were not as tired and we were more confident because we got to know our group better. We had reached a road by Loch Thom and started singing various songs like “500 Miles” by the Proclaimers and many more to liven up the spirits of our members. We walked towards the Bridge Centre singing and we were all happy to get water and ice-creams, after a long interval we continued to walk the Kelly Cut, stopping at the reservoir to have our lunch. Knowing that we only had an hour left until we finished the hike reassured us all. It felt as though we were walking forever until we got to the caravan park, from there we walked a bit faster and after cutting through a forest area, tempted by the cold stream and waterfalls nearby, we finally reached Wemyss Bay and got our fish and chips.

Our practice expedition had been successful and we were all glad to be going home to our beds.

Back to Top

Regional Netball

By Cpl Ann-Louise Prele

On 25th April I travelled down to RAF Cranwell to take part in Regional netball. The bus journey down was long and very boring until we all decided to watch Frozen. Everyone on the bus was signing along and everyone was singing for the rest of the bus journey. This made it a lot more enjoyable. We arrived at RAF Cranwell at 9pm and everyone was tired and wanted to sleep, but there was still a lot to do, this meant we didn’t get to bed until 11pm and we had to wake up very early in the morning.

6am and my alarm went off. Still very tired I crawled out of the uncomfortable bed and got changed into my netball kit and because we didn’t have any socks we had to wear the old rugby socks. That wasn’t fun. Everyone was out and on their way to breakfast by 7:30am. Despite the early start everyone was very hyper and excited for the games ahead of us.

It was finally time for our first game against North. We sadly lost the first game but we remained optimistic as we still had a lot to go. Each game we got better but we still didn’t win and despite our hard efforts and excellent singing kettle chant we lost all games and came last.

On Saturday evening we left RAF Cranwell and made out way back to Glasgow, once again watching and singing Frozen on the bus.

Back to Top

Roll of Honour 

Andrews Sash of Honour

FS Adam 

Wing Spots Cadet of the Year

Sgt Rae 

Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award

FS Adam 

Scottish 2 Day Marches Medal

Cdt Rae 

Regional Blue (Netball)

Cpl Prêle 

Wing Blue (Athletics)

Sgt Rae 

Wing Athletics Bronze Medals

Sgt Rae

Cdt Rae 

Wing Athletics Silver Medal

Cdt Anderson 

First Class Classification

Cdt Armstrong

Cdt Patton J

Cdt Patton B

Cdt Anderson 

Appointment to Commission and Completion of the Officers Initial Course

Plt Off McKenzie

Back to Top





[  Home  |  Air Training Corps | ATC Activities | 2175 (RR) Squadron | Photo Gallery | Guestbook ]

[ Resources | Search ]

© Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.